Sticky Drumsticks a la Shrek
Everyone knows that Ogres don’t use cutlery. So put down that fork, pick up that drumstick and gnaw away. To keep things somewhat less messy, wrap the ends of each drumstick in foil before serving.
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks , (about 10)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1-in. piece fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- With a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 lengthwise slits in each drumstick – through the skin into the meat. (This is to help the marinade really soak into the chicken.) Put them in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the marinade: honey, soy sauce, orange juice, sesame seeds, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Blend until liquefied. Pour marinade into bag with the chicken drumsticks. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least two hours (or overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Dump the chicken drumsticks and all the marinade into a 9 x 13 in .(23 x 33 cm) baking dish. Bake for about one hour, basting often with the marinade and turning the drumsticks over about halfway thorough.
- Transfer drumsticks to serving dish and let cool slightly before serving.