This article has not been rated yet.
This recipe, submitted by Linda Hashem of Charlottetown, was a big hit with the judges. These veggie-filled pastries are easy to make, delicious and can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 6 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 11-g pkg quick-rise instant yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 284-g pkg spinach
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice , (approximately the juice of one lemon)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First make the dough. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, water and milk. Mix the ingredients, then knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic – about 5 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about one hour. (For a shortcut version of this recipe, use ready-made pizza dough from a bakery or supermarket instead of making your own.)
- Now, make the filling. Wash the spinach well and chop it coarsely. Add the chopped onion, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Toss well to mix.
- Finally – the assembly. Pinch off a piece of dough the size of a golf ball and roll it out on a floured surface, to about 3 or 4 in. (8 or 10 cm) in width. Place a large spoonful of the spinach mixture in the middle of the dough. Be careful not to get juice on the edges because it will prevent the dough from sealing. Fold the dough over (as you would an apple turnover), pinch the edges very firmly to seal and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat the procedure with the remaining dough and filling. Bake at 375°F (190°C)for 15 to 20 minutes.