Snuggled Chicken and Rice
This article has not been rated yet.
If you have any leftovers from this dish, just cut the remaining chicken into chunks and mix with whatever rice is left. Add any other cooked vegetables you may have hanging around - broccoli, green beans, zucchini - moisten with a bit of broth, and bingo! An (almost) totally different dish.
- 1 kg skinless, boneless chicken breasts , (about 6 medium)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 cup peas , (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves , squished
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric , (OK, skip it if you don't have it)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper and (kids, stand back!) sear them quickly on both sides in the hot oil, just until they’re lightly browned. You’ll probably have to work in batches to avoid crowding the meat so it can brown without cooking through. Remove and set on a plate.
- In a lightly greased 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) baking dish, have your child mix together the uncooked rice, onion, peas, carrots, garlic, salt, paprika and turmeric. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Now gently snuggle the browned chicken breasts into the rice mixture (they should be only partly covered by the rice). There now, doesn’t that look cozy? Cover the dish tightly with foil and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes or so, until the rice is tender, the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is done.