finely chopped yellow
Asian chili sauce
- Combine lentils and water in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 min or until lentils are very soft. Drain any remaining water and use a potato masher to mash lentils.
- Heat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9 x 5-in. loaf pan with tinfoil and grease pan and foil with olive oil.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium, add onion and sauté until soft and lightly golden, about 4 min. Scrape into a mixing bowl with lentils, carrot, parsnip, oatmeal, cheese, soy sauce, thyme and garlic, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in eggs.
- Pack mixture into prepared pan and level top. Combine tomato paste, Worcestershire, sugar and chili sauce in a bowl and spread thickly overtop of loaf.
- Bake for 50 to 60 min or until top is slightly cracked and loaf is firm in the centre.
- Let stand 10 min to firm up, then run a knife around the edge, turn out, slice and serve.
Most Worcestershire sauce isn’t vegetarian (hi, anchovies!), so look for a fish-free variety at your local health food store to make this a truly meatless meal.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 43 g,
- 19 g,
- 14 g,
- 489 mg.
Originally published in the January 2013 issue. Photo by Maya Visnyei.