This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
These whole caps stuffed with a tasty sausage mixture are so delicious, they might just convert a mushroom-phobic kid.
- 250 g uncooked sausage , (Italian, Spanish, garlic, hot or mild)
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup shredded Asiago , or cheddar, divided
- 500 g large 2-in. diameter mushroom caps , (small portobellos or large white mushrooms are good)
- 2 tbsp olive oil , or vegetable oil
- Remove the sausage meat from casing and crumble it into a medium skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring to break up large clumps, until no longer pink, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off the fat and transfer meat to a mixing bowl. Add the bread crumbs and half the cheese, and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Remove the stems from the mushroom caps (reserve stems for some other use). Brush lightly with oil and fill the caps with sausage mixture, mounding it up as much as possible. (The crumbly mixture will stick together once it’s been baked, so don’t worry.) Arrange on a baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.