Salmon, Broccoli and Potato Gratin
This salmon, broccoli and potato gratin is the perfect way to get healthy salmon into your child's diet.
, (4 or 5 medium), cut into large chunks or wedges
, stems sliced and tops cut into florets
, to taste
, cut into large (3-in.) chunks
, or grainy mustard
- Preheat the broiler element in the oven to high and adjust a rack so that it is 6 in (15 cm) below the element. Grease a 9 x 13 in (23 x 33 cm) metal or ceramic baking dish (not glass or Pyrex).
- In a steamer basket over boiling water, steam the potatoes until almost (but not quite) tender (poke a knife into one to check), 10 to 12 minutes. Add the broccoli to the steamer (on top of the potatoes) and continue to steam for another 3 or 4 minutes or until the broccoli is a little tender but still bright green. The potatoes should be fully cooked by that point too. (If your steamer is too small to accommodate everything, you can do this in two batches – first the potatoes, then the broccoli.)
- Transfer the potatoes and broccoli to the prepared baking dish and toss with the butter, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and as much pepper as you’d like. Nestle the pieces of salmon in between the potatoes and broccoli.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, mustard and the remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. Dollop this mixture over the potatoes, broccoli and salmon (especially the broccoli). Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place under the preheated broiler and broil for 8 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes and sour cream are speckled brown and the salmon flakes when poked with a fork.