Quick Chicken Parmigiana
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
No breading, no long-simmered sauce - just yummy chicken cooked in a flash. While the dish is baking, you'll have enough time to throw together a salad or steam some broccoli. Or read the newspaper. Your choice.
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts , (750 g)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes , with liquid
- 2 tbsp chopped basil , (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Pour about half the olive oil into a large ovenproof skillet and place it over high heat. When the oil is hot, season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and place in the skillet without crowding (if necessary, do this in batches). Cook over high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once, until well browned on both sides. Remove chicken from the pan – it won’t be cooked through yet, so no sampling!
- Pour the remaining olive oil into the skillet, lower the heat to medium high and stir in the garlic. Let the garlic cook for just 30 seconds, then add the diced tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened – 12 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove the pan from heat and arrange the chicken breasts in the sauce. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.