Quick and Thick Spaghetti Sauce
This article has not been rated yet.
2 1/2 - 3 cups
Spaghetti sauce in less than half an hour? Impossible? We don't think so.
- 1 tbsp olive oil , or vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves , pressed or minced
- 1 796-mL can crushed or ground tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil , (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan , (or a 1-in. chunk fresh Parmesan rind)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat the oil a medium saucepan over medium low. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the tomatoes, basil, Parmesan, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low. Cover and let simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes. Be careful not to let the sauce scorch on the bottom. If it seems to be cooking too quickly, add stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) of water or broth to thin it.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool for just a minute or two. Fish out the Parmesan rind, if using, then puree sauce in a blender or food processor, or with an immersion blender, to eliminate any telltale lumps.