Prosciutto-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken
These stuffed chicken breasts are elegant enough for entertaining but easy enough to add to your everyday cooking repertoire. Kids love them too! If your little ones get squeamish when they see green stuff, feel free to skip the spinach or substitute a slice of cheese. For a milder garlic flavour, sauté a whole garlic clove with the chicken instead of stuffing, and discard before serving.
- 4 slices prosciutto , or deli ham
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , about 2 lb (1 kg)
- pinches (generous) black pepper
- 1 small clove garlic , thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach , optional
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Lay prosciutto on a cutting board. Place a chicken breast, smooth side down, over each piece of prosciutto. With a small knife, slice into the side of each chicken breast to create a small pocket about 2 in (5 cm) deep. Sprinkle pepper over chicken and rub into each pocket. Stuff each breast with garlic and spinach (if using). Wrap chicken with prosciutto.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high. When hot, lightly coat with oil. Add chicken breasts. Cook until lightly golden, about 4 minutes per side. Cover and cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Great served with a Caesar or green salad.
- Makes 4 servings.
- In a serving: 203 calories, 33 g protein, 7 g fat, 1 g carbs, 7 mg calcium, 4 mcg folate