This article has not been rated yet.
Who doesn't love lasagna? But on a weeknight, who has time to make it? Well, now you do.
- 250 g mild or hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped basil , (or parsley)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tube polenta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 250 g mozzarella , shredded (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush a 9 in. (23 cm) square baking dish (or equivalent-size dish or slightly larger) with olive oil.
- Remove the innards from the sausages and crumble them into a large skillet. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the sausage is no longer pink and the onion is tender – 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Let simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the polenta and cut it into – in. (0.5 cm) slices. Spoon just enough of the tomato sauce into the baking dish to cover the bottom. On top of this, arrange about half of the polenta slices so that they completely cover the bottom of the dish. Trim some of the slices so that they fit – like a puzzle. Spoon half of the remaining sauce on top of the polenta layer, then sprinkle with half of the Parmesan and half of the mozzarella. Now a second layer of polenta, all the rest of the sauce and the remaining Parmesan and mozzarella. Cover loosely with foil and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is bubbling around the edges.