Originally published in the September 2010 issue. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
Pasta with Fresh Greens
This article has not been rated yet.
Pasta doesn't need sauce to pack lots of flavour. This tasty toss is equally great as a hot main course or cold side dish. If you prefer, swap the ricotta for cubed brie or Camembert cheese.
- 2 cups packed basil leaves , (about 1 small bunch), or a mix of basil and mint
- 4 green onions
- 1 lemon
- 1 500 g pkg farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 475 g regular or light ricotta cheese
- 8 cups baby spinach
- generous pinches salt
- generous pinches black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Finely chop basil and slice onions thinly. Grate just the yellow part of the lemon peel; slice lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl, removing seeds.
- When the water is boiling, cook pasta according to package directions until tender-firm, 9-12 minutes. Reserve 1⁄4 cup (50 mL) pasta cooking liquid.
- Drain pasta well, then turn back into empty pot. Add lemon zest, juice, herbs, cheese and spinach. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and stir to mix evenly. If you prefer wilted spinach, set pot on burner set to medium heat and stir frequently for 1 minute. If pasta seems dry, add enough reserved cooking water to moisten slightly.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31 g,
- 102 g,
- 18 g,
- 8 g,