Paella with Sausage and Peas
Your kids will love this tasty dish of paella with sausage and peas.
- 500 g sweet or hot Italian sausage , cut crosswise into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or canned diced tomatoes
- 1 green or red sweet pepper , sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup raw arborio or parboiled (converted) rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley , (optional)
- Arrange sausage slices in a deep, preferably non-stick skillet. Place over medium heat and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, turning over once, until lightly browned on both sides. Remove from pan and pour off most of the fat (leave just a thin film in pan).
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, sliced pepper and turmeric, and mix well. Stir in the rice, bring to a boil, then stir again to mix.
- Return the sausage slices to the pan, arranging them evenly on top of the rice mixture, then immediately reduce the heat to low, cover and cook without stirring for 20 minutes, or until the rice is almost tender. Sprinkle the peas over the top, replace the lid and continue cooking for another 5 to 8 minutes or until the rice is completely done.
- Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes before serving to allow any excess liquid to be absorbed. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.