Orecchiette with Rustic Tomato Sauce and Chickpeas
If saying orecchiette is too much of a mouthful, try calling this cute noodle 'little ears.' Your kids won't mind gobbling up this hearty, vegetarian pasta with a name like that.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red onion , chopped
- 1 cup fennel , chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic , chopped
- 1/4 tsp hot-pepper flake
- 1 796-mL can tomatoes
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas , drained and well rinsed
- 1 454 g pkg orecchiette pasta
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley , chopped
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and fennel, and sauté for 5 min or until softened and lightly browned. Add garlic and chili flakes, and sauté for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Chop tomatoes and add to the pan with their juices; bring to a simmer and cook for 10 min or until slightly thickened and flavourful. Add chickpeas and simmer for 5 min longer or until flavours have combined. Season with salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook orecchiette in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Toss pasta with sauce and use about ¼ cup of cooking water to thin slightly if desired. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 123 g,
- 14 g,
- 13 g,
- 848 mg.