My Mother's Famous Chicken Paprikash
This article has not been rated yet.
Although Cooking With Kids has featured a Chicken Paprikash recipe in the past, it was not, I sheepishly admit, the genuine article. This version is the dish that made a weekly appearance at our house and, according to my mother, is the real thing.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper , chopped
- 2.5 kg chicken , cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet (that has a lid) or a Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the onion and green pepper and stir, over medium heat, for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chicken pieces, paprika, salt and pepper, and toss everything around until mixed. Add the water, cover the pan and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring once in a while, for 30 to 35 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with nockedli (those wonderful dumplings), rice or noodles to soak up the sauce.