Mushroom and Pepper Calzones
This article has not been rated yet.
Enjoy these takeout favourites at home. They're healthier and even tastier, plus you don't have to wait for the delivery man! Make extra dough and toppings to make Play-It-Again Pizza for another night.
- 2 balls pizza dough , store-bought or homemade, each 700/750 g
- 1 cup store-bought tomato pasta sauce
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 2 sweet peppers , preferably a mix of colour, cut into rings
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms , or button mushrooms
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). With oil, generously spray a 12-15 in (30-38 cm) diameter pizza pan and two 9 X 13 in (3 L) baking dishes.
- Lightly flour the counter. Cut 1⁄3 from first dough ball and set aside for a calzone. Place remaining 2⁄3 of dough ball on floured counter. Press, roll out and stretch into a pizza to fit your pizza pan. Tightly cover with plastic wrap. (If the pizza pan has holes, wrap bottom as well.) Freeze until ready to use for Play-It-Again Pizza, up to 3 days.
- Cut second dough ball into thirds. With reserved third from first dough ball, you’ll have 4 pieces of dough in total. Roll, press and shape each piece into a rough circle, each 8 in (20 cm) in diameter.
- Spread 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce over half of each circle, leaving the edge uncovered. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle each with 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) cheese. Scatter half of peppers, mushrooms, and pepperoni, if using, overtop. Cover and refrigerate remaining half for Play-It-Again Pizza toppings, up to 3 days.
- Fold uncovered dough half over the half with ingredients. Crimp edges. Repeat with remaining calzones. Using a large spatula, carefully move calzones so there are 2 calzones in each oiled baking dish. Lightly brush each with oil.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until golden on bottom, 20-25 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. (Caution: Filling will be hot.)
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 33 g,
- 7 mg.