Mushroom and Feta Burgers Three Ways
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 6 servings
Your kids won't be able to resist these delicious burgers.
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 medium (340 g) portobello mushrooms , (caps and stems)
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta , or mild goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg , well beaten
- Preheat outdoor grill. Chop up onion and garlic or pulse them in a food processor, until minced but not mush! Chop mushrooms separately in the same way. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil at medium low, add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme, cooking another 6 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. While this cooks, grate carrots, crumble cheese and chop parsley. Prep your choice of toppings, such as sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, and shredded lettuce.
- Season mushroom mixture with salt and pepper, and transfer (even if it’s still hot) to a medium-sized bowl and combine with carrot, wheat germ, bread crumbs, feta, parsley and egg. When cool enough to handle, shape into 6 patties and arrange on a waxed-paper-lined plate.
- Grill burgers outdoors on a well-greased vegetable rack for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Or, in a large frying pan, heat remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil at medium high and cook patties 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Custom-serve burgers according to your family’s requests and enjoy!