Originally published in the October 2012 issue. Photo by Ryan Szulc.
Moussaka Meets Shepherd's Pie
Shepherd's Pie gets cozy with classic moussaka in this eggplant, lamb and potato dish. Trust us, you'll want to batch cook this and stash some away. It's that good.
- 1 large eggplant , peeled, sliced 1/2-in. thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled, cut in 1-in. chunks
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- salt , to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups canned tomato , chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush eggplant slices with oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 min, turning once, or until browned and tender. Reserve. Turn oven down to 425°F.
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil; cook for 12 min or until tender. Drain. Mash with yogurt and Parmesan, season with salt to taste and mix in yolks. Reserve.
- Heat a large skillet on high. Add lamb and sauté for 3 min or until no longer pink. Remove lamb from pan with a slotted spoon and discard all but 2 tbsp fat. Add onion to the pan and sauté for 2 min. Add garlic, cinnamon and allspice and sauté for 1 min. Add tomatoes and oregano and simmer for 3 min or until thickened. Add reserved lamb and cook for 3 min. Season with salt to taste and pepper. Coarsely chop reserved eggplant; stir in.
- Pile lamb mixture into a 9-in. round dish and spread potato mixture overtop.
- Bake for 20 min or until potatoes are golden and filling is bubbling.
Freeze assembled but unbaked pies. Defrost fully and bake at 450F for 20 min before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 21 g,
- 34 g,
- 18 g,
- 5 g,
- 514 mg.