Lighter Potato Pancakes
This article has not been rated yet.
16 to 16 servings
These baked potato pancakes make a hearty, mid-winter main dish
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 large russet potatoes , peeled
- 1 large parsnip , peeled
- 1/2 Spanish or vidalia onion , chopped
- 100 g sliced ham , chopped
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease 2 baking sheets with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil. With a box grater or food processor, shred potatoes and parsnip, then set in a sieve over a bowl to drain for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes and parsnips with onion, ham, egg, flour and salt. Combine well. Form each of the pancakes by lightly packing mixture into a 1⁄4 cup (50 mL) dry measure, then flipping over onto prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with remaining oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, or until golden and crispy. Serve with applesauce and low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt.
- Makes 16-20 pancakes (4 servings).
- In a serving: 296 calories, 11.0 g protein, 9.1 g fat, 44.5 g carbohydrates, 4.8 g dietary fibre, 30 mg vitamin C