Lazy Perogy Casserole
A sleeper I couldn't resist trying this recipe because it sounded so, well, strange. Surprise! It was delicious 'sort of a cross between lasagna and perogies. Dustin, our resident Perogy expert, had thirds.
- 12 regular lasagna noodles , (not the oven-ready type)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped onion , sauteed in a little butter until just softened
- 8 to 10 slices bacon , cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- sour cream , as an accompaniment
- Cook lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling water until tender. Drain thoroughly, rinse with cold water and drain again. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, egg, onion and bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the bottom of a 9 by 13-in. (22 by 33 cm) baking dish with a little melted butter. Line with 4 cooked lasagna noodles, overlapping them a bit to fit. Spoon half of the potato filling onto the noodles, spreading to cover. Sprinkle with some shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat with another layer of 4 noodles, the rest of the potato mixture and some more cheese.
- Finally, cover with the last 4 lasagna noodles, and sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese. Cover baking dish with foil, and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve, accompanied by a dollop of sour cream.