Italian-Style Crispy Chicken
This article has not been rated yet.
8 to 8 servings
Ever take a package of chicken out of the freezer in the morning, only to find that it's still frozen when you need to cook dinner? Here's the perfect recipe for those occasions. Prepare semi-thawed chicken pieces as usual, but leave a little extra time for baking, and use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- 3/4 cup plain, fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 lb chicken drumsticks , about 8 pieces, skin removed
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and salt in a large bowl; stir with a fork to combine. Add oil and stir to mix evenly. Stir in Parmesan.
- Working with 1 drumstick at a time, moisten with water, shake off excess and add to bread crumb mixture; shake to coat. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining drumsticks. Discard leftover bread crumb mixture.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until crispy and cooked through, 40-60 minutes, depending on how thawed the chicken was at prep time. (Test with an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the drumstick and not touching bone; it should read 165°F/73°C.)
- Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.
- Makes 8 drumsticks.
- In 1 drumstick: 118 calories, 11 g protein, 6 g fat, 5 g carbs, 43 mg calcium