Italian Sausage and Potato Bake
This article has not been rated yet.
Satisfy hearty appetites by doubling the quantity of sausages; the rest of the recipe remains the same.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 500 g raw Italian-style sausages
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 200-mL jar alfredo pasta sauce
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 kg waxy potatoes , washed (you don't have to peel them)
- 1 small onion , peeled
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a deep 12 in (30 cm) diameter ovenproof frying pan, heat oil on the stovetop over medium. Lightly brown sausages – about 6 minutes.
- Remove sausages to a plate and refrigerate (they’ll finish cooking later on). Drain excess fat from pan. Add chicken broth, alfredo sauce and dried parsley. Whisk to blend. Bring just to simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a sharp chef’s knife or a food processor fitted with a slicer attachment, slice potatoes and onion thinly (each slice measuring about 1⁄8 in/2.5 mm thick). Spread evenly in frying pan, nestling into the broth mixture.
- Transfer to oven. Bake on middle rack for 40 minutes, or until just tender. Place sausages on top and bake another 20 minutes, or until knife easily pierces potatoes and sausages are cooked through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Makes 4 servings.
- In a serving: 489 calories, 24.9 g protein, 24.4 g fat, 43.3 g carbohydrates, 3.9 g dietary fibre, 57 mg magnesium, 4.5 mg iron, 1.8 mg zinc