Originally published in the July 2010 issue. Photo by Jim Norton.
Herbed Balsamic Salmon
This recipe doesn't smother the salmon with lots of heavy spices or sauces, so its natural flavour shines through. Try it alongside a leafy salad.
- 4 salmon fillets , each about 6 oz and 1-in. thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves , or mint, or a mixture
- Lightly oil grill. Heat barbecue to medium high. Lightly brush tops of fish fillets with a total of 1 tsp oil. Pour remaining oil into a small bowl. Stir in vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Finely chop herbs and stir to make a vinaigrette. (If preparing ahead, add herbs just before using or they will darken.)
- Place fish, skin side up, on grill. Barbecue with lid closed. Turn after 4-5 minutes and continue cooking a further 4-5 minutes, until a knife tip inserted in centre of fish, and held there for 10 seconds, comes out warm.
- Drizzle the fish fillets with vinaigrette just before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 3 g,
- 21 g,