Recipe excerpted from the Smitten kitchen Cookbook. Copyright 2012 Deb Pearlman. Published by Appetite by Random House Canada. Originally published in the December 2012 issue. Photo by Ryan Szulc.
Harvest Roast Chicken with Grapes, Olives and Rosemary
From the genius of The Smitten Kitchen, this simple roast chicken recipe is delicious and easy. Perfect for the family or entertaining.
- 3 lbs chicken parts , (thighs, drumsticks and/or breasts) with skin and bones
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 small shallots , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- Preheat your oven to 450F with a rack in the middle.
- Pat chicken dry and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof 12-in. heavy skillet (use a cast iron skillet if you’ve got one) over medium-high until it simmers.
- Working in two batches, brown chicken, skin-side down first and turning over once, about 5 min per batch. I like to take a lot of care in this step, not moving the chicken until the skin releases itself and has a nice bronze on it.
- Return pieces to the pan, skin-side up and surround pieces with grapes, olives and shallots.
- Roast chicken in the oven until it has just cooked through and the juices run clear, about 20 min.
- Transfer chicken, grapes and olives to a platter, then add wine and chicken broth to the pan juices in skillet. Bring liquid to a boil, scraping up any brown bits, until it has reduced by half, for 2 to 3 min.
- Strain sauce, if desired, then pour it over chicken. Garnish with rosemary and see how long it takes guests to offer to slurp up the sauce with a spoon.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 53 g,
- 10 g,
- 38 g,
- 1 g,
- 881 mg.