Grandmother Kovacs' Famous Chicken Paprikas
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Classic Hungarian comfort food. From Jackie's grandmother, to her mother and now - to us. So eat, already.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 green sweet pepper , chopped
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 2.5-kg chicken , cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion, green pepper and paprika and cook, stirring, for at least 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and the salt and pepper, and stir until mixed. Add the water, slam the lid on the pan and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour with a spoonful or two of the liquid from the pot, stirring until completely smooth – no lumps. Mix this back into the pot, blending until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve the chicken with noodles, rice or potatoes to soak up the wonderful sauce.