Good Old Pasghetti and Meatballs
A match made in heaven.
- 500 g lean ground beef , turkey or chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs , (if using chicken, use 3/4 cup crumbs)
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups Basic Pasghetti Sauce , or, oh OK, store-bought sauce spaghetti
- cooked spaghetti , to serve
- Dump all the above ingredients (except the sauce) into a large bowl and, with your (clean) bare hands (or your child’s) or a mixing spoon, thoroughly combine everything until it is well mixed. With wet hands, form the meat mixture into 1 in. (2.5 cm) diameter balls, rolling them firmly. (Be sure to remind your child not to taste the raw meat mixture and to wash his hands as soon as he’s finished rolling meatballs.)
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking. The meatballs should be firm, and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the spaghetti sauce in a medium saucepan. Remove meatballs from baking sheet and plunk into the simmering sauce. Allow to simmer in the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour over hot cooked spaghetti.