Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Ginger Beef Rice BowlBy Chatelaine
Create your own better-than-takeout rice bowl at home. Juicy ginger beef, hardboiled eggs and all the veggies are nice and cozy atop this hearty bowl.
- 1 cup purple rice , rinsed
- 2 tbsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated or minced ginger
- 450 g lean ground beef
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil , optional
- 4 medium-boiled eggs, halved, or fried eggs
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 4 radishes , thinly sliced
- 4 cocktail tomatoes , quartered
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds , optional
- Cook rice following package directions, about 20 min. Let stand for 5 min.
- In a small bowl, whisk soy sauce, honey and ¼ cup water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 min. Stir in garlic, ginger and beef; stir-fry until no pink remains, about 5 min. Stir in soy sauce mixture and stir-fry for 3 min more. Stir in green onions, and sesame oil, if desired, then transfer to a plate.
- Divide rice among four bowls. Top with beef mixture, 1 egg, carrot, radish, tomatoes and sesame seeds, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 30 g,
- 16 g,
- 24 g,
- 3 g,
- 483 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin A