Fussy Eater Special
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
This recipe, sent in by Shelley Levesque of Belleville, Ontario, was frankly a surprise winner. Living up to its reputation as a great recipe for the "fussy eater" in the family, this concoction went over big with even our most, er, discriminating taste tester - Danny.
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups thinly sliced scrubbed carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp melted butter , divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- In a well-greased 2 L casserole dish, layer the sliced potatoes, then top with 1/3 of the chopped onion and 1/3 of the grated cheese. Next, layer the carrots, with another third of the onion and cheese. And, finally, the sweet potatoes, the rest of the onion and the rest of the cheese.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk, the flour, half of the melted butter, the salt and the pepper. Pour this mixture over the layered veggies and cheese.
- In another bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and the remaining melted butter and sprinkle it over the top of the casserole. Cover with a lid (if your casserole has one) or foil (if it doesn’t) and bake at 400°F (200°C) for 1 hour. Remove the lid or foil and bake for another 10 minutes – until the top is browned and the vegetables feel tender when you poke a knife into the casserole. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.