Easy Modern Wellington
This article has not been rated yet.
Not a pastry chef? No worries. Our delicious riff on the classic beef Wellington (made with less-pricey pork and puff pastry) is outrageously quick.
397-g pkg frozen
, or grainy mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Have an ungreased baking sheet ready. After unwrapping block of pastry, slice a 1⁄2 in (1 cm) strip from both ends and set aside. Slice remaining pastry in half. Place 1 piece on a lightly floured surface. Measure length of 1 pork tenderloin. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough so it’s 8 in (20 cm) wide and 2 in (5 cm) longer than the tenderloin.
- Lightly spread pastry with Dijon, leaving 1 in (2.5 cm) along the edge plain. Then lay 4 slices of prosciutto across pastry, overlapping slightly, leaving edges uncovered. Place pork horizontally across prosciutto, then tuck under skinny end of the tenderloin so meat is approximately the same thickness from end to end. Spread tenderloin with a little more Dijon. Crumble rosemary overtop, then sprinkle with pepper.
- Whisk egg with water. Brush over pastry edges. Pull bottom and then top of pastry with prosciutto over pork so they overlap slightly. Pinch top edge into dough underneath. Roll out pastry ends so they’re a little thinner. Fold corners inward to form a triangle; don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Lightly brush ends with egg wash. Lift ends up and over log. Press folded ends into dough. Place log, seam side down, on baking sheet.
- Form another log with remaining ingredients. Make 3 holes in top of each log for steam to escape. If you like, thinly roll out reserved pastry, then have your kids cut out decorations using small cookie cutters. Press decorations on top of logs. Brush logs and decorations with egg wash, taking care not to let it pool.
- Bake in centre of oven until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat reads 170°F (75°C), 35-40 minutes. Turn sheet halfway through. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut in half or into thick slices.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
- In a serving: 555 calories, 36.9 g protein, 30.8 g fat, 30.6 g carbohydrates, 1.1 g dietary fibre, 3.5 mg iron