Originally published in the Today’s Parent March 2016 issue. Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Easy Butter ChickenBy Chatelaine
Chicken thighs are more tender and flavourful than chicken breasts, perfect for saucy dishes like butter chicken.
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs , cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion , diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 680-mL bottle passata , (tomato purée)
- 1 English cucumber , diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup 35% cream
- Combine chicken with garlic, spices and 3/4 tsp salt in a bowl.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium. Add onion and ginger to pan. Cook until onion softens, about 3 min. Add chicken mixture and cook until no longer pink, about 3 min. Add passata. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 min.
- In a medium bowl, combine cucumber with tomatoes, lime juice and 2 tbsp cilantro. Stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper.
- Stir cream and remaining 2 tbsp cilantro into chicken mixture just before serving over basmati rice with tomato salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 45 g,
- 23 g,
- 27 g,
- 5 g,
- 952 mg.