Creamy Chicken Lasagna
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
- 12 lasagna noodles , (not the oven ready type) cooked until tender
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken , diced
- 3/4 cup Parmesan , grated
- 10 oz pkg fresh (or frozen chopped) spinach
- 1 cup ricotta , or cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the shredded carrot and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add the flour, cook, stirring for another minute or two, then whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and begins to simmer. Now dump in the chicken and ¼ cup (50 mL) of the Parmesan cheese, and cook for just another couple of minutes until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- If you’re using fresh spinach, wash it thoroughly, then steam it (or microwave it in a covered casserole on high power for about 5 minutes) or until it is completely wilted. Drain well, and chop coarsely. If you’re using frozen spinach, just thaw it and squeeze out the water.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese and the egg, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Now comes the fun part (a job custom-made for a helpful child). In a lightly greased 8 or 9 in. (20 or 23 cm) square baking dish, layer the ingredients in the following order: 1. ½ cup (125 mL) of the creamy chicken mixture; 2. ¼ of the lasagna noodles (cut and pieced to fit); 3. the spinach, sprinkled with a little Parmesan cheese; 4. ¼ of the lasagna noodles (cut and pieced to fit); 5. the ricotta cheese mixture, sprinkled with a little Parmesan cheese; 6. ¼ of the lasagna noodles (cut and pieced); 7. the rest of the creamy chicken mixture; 8. the rest of the lasagna noodles; 9. the rest of the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish loosely with foil, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly. (If you are using an 8 in. (20 cm) baking dish, place it on a baking sheet to prevent it leaking out all over your oven.)