Crazy Tacos in a Pan
Try this Mexican dish tonight!
- 500 g lean ground beef , or turkey
- 1 540-mL can black beans , or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups salsa , (any kind)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes , diced
- 2 cups crumbled tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar , or Monterey jack
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey over medium high until no longer pink – about 5 minutes – stirring to break up the clumps as the meat cooks. Drain off any fat that accumulates. Add the beans, salsa and water, lower the heat to medium low and continue to cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Sprinkle the meat mixture with the tomatoes, followed by the tortilla chips and the shredded cheese, and cover the pan with a lid. Let cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Bring the pan to the table, remove the lid and sprinkle the lettuce overtop. Dollop the sour cream here and there, if you want, or just let the diners spoon onto their own serving.