Chicken with Caramelized Cauliflower
This article has not been rated yet.
Slow-cooking cauliflower brings out its natural sweetness. If you like, dress it up with fresh herbs while the chicken cutlets take a quick dip in the pan.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 large head cauliflower , cut into small florets
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 4 chicken breast cutlets , (about 700 g)
- 2 tsp paprika , preferably smoked
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- handful chopped parsley , for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add oil. When hot, add onion and cauliflower. Sprinkle sugar and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt overtop. Stir occasionally until tender, golden and caramelized, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with dried seasonings and 1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt.
- When cauliflower and onion are done, remove to plates and keep warm.
- Add chicken to pan – cooking in 2 batches, if necessary, to avoid crowding. Cook until lightly golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over the cauliflower, if you wish, and serve alongside cooked chicken.
- Makes 4 servings.
- In a serving: 274 calories, 44 g protein, 4 g fat, 17 g carbs, 7 g dietary fibre, 66 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 97 mcg folate
Nutrition (per serving)
- 44 g,
- 4 g,
- 2 mg.