Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 to 6 Servings
An easy-peasy chicken tortilla soup is within your grasp. Garnish it was avocado, sour cream and cheese.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup white onion , chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic , chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 796-mL can tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken broth , (home-made or low sodium)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup torn fresh tortillas , (about 3 tortillas)
- 3 fresh corn tortillas
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup white cheddar , shredded
- 1 avocado
- cilantro leaves
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and sauté for 5 min or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic and sauté for 30 sec., then stir in chili powder and cumin and cook 30 sec. longer or until spices are fragrant.
- Crush tomatoes and add to pot with juices, along with chicken stock. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 5 min. Add chicken breasts and simmer for 12 to 15 min or until cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate to cool. Shred and set aside.
- Add torn tortillas to soup and simmer 5 min longer or until very soft. Purée soup in a blender, return to pot and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Cut 3 tortillas into thin strips; toss with oil, place on a baking sheet and bake for 7 to 8 min or until golden.
- Serve soup with the shredded chicken, cheese and sliced avocado in bowls so that everyone can add what they like.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 44 g,
- 32 g,
- 29 g,
- 8 g,
- 1710 mg.