Originally published in the November 2011 issue. Photo by Jim Norton.
Chicken Pot Pie
Double up your favourite chicken recipe, then use the leftovers to make this scrumptious pot pie!
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 3 carrots , peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk , plus 1 tbsp for top
- 3 cups chopped cooked leftover chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp dried parsley , or thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 of 397 g frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds , optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrots. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 5–7 minutes. Add mustard, followed by flour, and stir constantly for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in stock and 1 cup (250 mL) milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, peas, parsley, salt and pepper. Transfer to an 8 cup (2 L) casserole dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry large enough to cover the top and overhang your dish by about 1 in (2.5 cm). Drape pastry over filling and press firmly against the sides of the dish to secure tightly. Using a small sharp knife, make 3 slits in the top of the pastry to let steam escape.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk. Brush top of pastry with egg mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Set dish on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until pastry is golden and filling is hot and bubbly, 40–45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 29 g,
- 26 g,
- 3 g,