Chicken in the Pot
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Take 20 minutes to assemble this dish, then forget about it for 2½ hours. Go pick up your daughter from gymnastics class; watch your son's soccer game; get some groceries - whatever. Dinner will be ready when you get home.
- 1 kg skinless, boneless chicken pieces , cut into large chunks (or substitute bone-in pieces of your choice but you'll need slightly more)
- 4 medium potatoes , peeled and sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 2 large carrots , scrubbed and sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 250 g green beans , cut into 1-in. pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion , sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine , or chicken broth
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the bottom of a large Dutch oven or heavy casserole (with a lid). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover chicken with the potato slices, carrots, green beans and sliced onion, sprinkling each layer with some thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour in the wine or broth, cover tightly and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 2-½ hours, or until everything in the pot is tender and squishy and very reassuring on a busy day. With a green salad, you’ve got all your bases covered.