Photo by Roberto Caruso.
Chicken Curry with Cashews, Green Beans and Sweet PotatoBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
You control the spiciness of this fragrant curry with amazing texture. You also control the mess since it’s made in a single pot.
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts , cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp mild or medium curry paste
- 1 (398-mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup sodium-free or homemade chicken stock
- 1 small sweet potato , peeled and cut into 1-in cubes (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cups green beans , trimmed and cut into 1-in lengths
- ⅓ cup full-fat yogurt , (at least 4% MF)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped roasted cashews
- Toss chicken with garam masala, salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté for 4 min or until lightly golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from pan; set aside. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to pan. Add onion; sauté for 2 min or until lightly golden.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger and garlic; sauté for 1 min. Add cumin, coriander and curry paste; sauté for 1 min longer. Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock; bring to a simmer. Add sweet potato, cover pan and turn heat to medium-low. Let cook for 10 min or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in chicken and green beans; cover and simmer for 5 min longer or until chicken and vegetables are cooked through. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt just before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro and cashews. Serve over rice.
Low-fat yogurt will curdle if mixed with hot curry, but if that’s what you have on hand, just serve it on the side and let people spoon it overtop.