Chicken and Bean BurritosBy Eshun Mott
This article has not been rated yet.
Serve these rotisserie chicken-and-pantry-staple burritos for dinner tonight and get the rest in the freezer for another meal (and feel super smart).
- 1 cup short-grain rice , (white or brown)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 1 small green pepper , chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce , (optional)
- 1 (540 mL) can small red beans , drained and rinsed
- 10 large flour tortillas , (white or whole wheat)
- 4 cups shredded roast or rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- cilantro , optional for garnish
- Cook rice, according to package directions; set aside. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers; sauté for 5 min or until lightly golden. Add garlic, chili powder and cumin; sauté for 1 min longer. Add canned tomatoes and chipotle; stir to combine. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer; cook for 5 min or until vegetables are softened and sauce is flavourful. Stir in beans.
- To assemble, place 6 to 8 tortillas on counter and divide rice among them. Top with vegetable mixture and chicken. Add cheese to each and roll up, tucking in ends. Working in batches, place burritos in a panini press, seam side down, and cook for 5 min to seal ends and melt cheese. Keep warm in oven, if desired. Wrap any extra burritos in foil and freeze for another day.