This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Spaghetti 'n' Back Bacon
- 1 small cooking onion
- 200 g smoked back bacon
- 3 eggs , or equivalent amount of pasteurized egg product
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 375-g pkg whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine , or white grape juice
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan , divided
- Fill a large pot with cold water, add salt to taste, cover and bring to a boil. Finely chop the onion. Slice back bacon into small pieces. In a medium bowl, break and beat eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper. (Those cooking for pregnant women or young children may prefer to use a pasteurized egg product.)
- Pour pasta into boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan at medium and cook onions until soft, about 3 minutes. Add back bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Pour wine into the bacon and onion mixture, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove and reserve ½ cup (125 mL) of pasta water, then drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Working quickly, add bacon and onion mixture, beaten eggs, reserved pasta water and ½ cup (125 mL) Parmesan to hot drained pasta, mixing well with tongs (this will cook the eggs).