Bottomless vegetarian pot pie
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Baking time: 40 minutes, Refrigeration Time: 45 minutes
1 1/4 cups
, cut into cubes
, or lemon juice
, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
, cut into small florets, about 2 cups
, at room temperature
540 mL can
, drained and rinsed
- Prepare pastry. In a food processor, whirl flour with sugar and salt until mixed. Add butter. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add water and vinegar. Pulse until dough comes together. Form into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, 30 to 45 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. Fill a pot with 2 in. of water and place a steamer insert inside. Place sweet potatoes in steamer and bring water to a boil. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, 3 to 5 min. Place broccoli over potatoes. Continue steaming until sweet potatoes are tender and broccoli florets are almost tender, 2 to 4 min.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. When bubbling, gradually sprinkle flour overtop while whisking to mix evenly. Cook, whisking frequently until lightly golden, about 1 min. Gradually whisk in vegetable broth, then milk. If lumpy, whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 5 min. Stir in salt. Remove from heat.
- Add steamed sweet potato and broccoli to milk mixture along with beans. Gently stir to coat evenly.
- Ladle about 1 cup of filling into each of 6 ramekins or ovenproof dishes. (It’s OK if they are a little mounded.) Place on a baking sheet. Let filling cool slightly, about 15 min, before covering with pastry.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 1?4 in. thickness. Using a knife, cut pastry rounds to fit overtop ramekins with a little overhang. Place over slightly warm filling. Press and pinch pastry into edges of dishes, so it grips and seals. Cut a small vent in the top of each. Brush lightly with egg, being careful not to let the egg pool.
- Bake pot pies on baking sheet in the centre of the oven until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling, 25 to 30 min. Let cool before serving to ensure little diners aren’t scalded by the hot filling.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 53 g,
- 27 g,
- 7 g,