Baked Chicken Freekeh Bowl
Photo: Erik Putz
Get your freekeh on with this tasty grain bowl. Baked chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion all hang out in a delicious tahini dressing.
¼ cup + 1 tsp
3 ½ tbsp
1 tsp each
paprika, cumin and
¼ tsp each
hot pepper flakes and
halved grape or
prepared hummus, pomegranate seeds and torn
- Cook freekeh following package directions until tender, 20 to 25 min. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup of the oil, garlic, 2½ tbsp of the lemon juice, paprika, cumin, salt, cinnamon and pepper flakes. In a large bowl, toss chicken with half of the dressing (set the other half aside). Let stand for 15 min.
- Arrange chicken on prepared sheet (discard marinade) and bake until golden and cooked through, about 18 min. Thinly slice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir tahini, remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp oil, and 4 tsp water until smooth.
- Divide freekeh among four bowls. Add chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and hummus, pomegranate seeds and mint, if desired. Serve with reserved dressing and tahini mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 49 g,
- 42 g,
- 31 g,
- 10 g,
- 776 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin A
Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.