Originally published in the Today’s Parent Summer 2017 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Baked Chicken Freekeh BowlBy Chatelaine
Get your freekeh on with this tasty grain bowl. Baked chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion all hang out in a delicious tahini dressing.
- 1 cup freekeh or long-grain rice
- ¼ cup + 1 tsp olive oil , divided
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 ½ tbsp lemon juice , divided
- 1 tsp each paprika, cumin and salt
- ¼ tsp each hot pepper flakes and cinnamon
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- prepared hummus, pomegranate seeds and torn mint leaves , optional
- Cook freekeh following package directions until tender, 20 to 25 min. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup of the oil, garlic, 2½ tbsp of the lemon juice, paprika, cumin, salt, cinnamon and pepper flakes. In a large bowl, toss chicken with half of the dressing (set the other half aside). Let stand for 15 min.
- Arrange chicken on prepared sheet (discard marinade) and bake until golden and cooked through, about 18 min. Thinly slice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir tahini, remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp oil, and 4 tsp water until smooth.
- Divide freekeh among four bowls. Add chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and hummus, pomegranate seeds and mint, if desired. Serve with reserved dressing and tahini mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 49 g,
- 42 g,
- 31 g,
- 10 g,
- 776 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin A