Recipe by Sweet Potato Chronicles. Photo by Jodi Pudge.
So which veggies have made their home in this juicy burger? That would be sweet potato, peas, zucchini, carrots and green onion.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 green onions , finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen green peas , cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini , (1 small)
- 1 1/4 cups grated carrots , (2 medium)
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups dry, whole-grain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Peel sweet potato, halve and cook in boiling water until just tender, but still firm, about 15 min. Cool for a few minutes, then grate. You will need 1½ cups.
- In a small skillet, warm the butter over low heat. Add the green onions and garlic, and cook until tender, about 2 min.
- In a large bowl, mash peas. Add the green onion mixture, grated sweet potato, zucchini, carrot, eggs, salt and 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Combine well (your hands may be the best tools here!). Add more bread crumbs if the mixture is too wet.
- Shape mixture into patties and lightly coat with remaining bread crumbs. You can make large 31⁄2-in. patties for adults and/or small 2-in. patties for children.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the patties and cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 min per side. Serve on whole-grain buns with preferred toppings.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 30 g,
- 7 g,
- 6 g,