Susan's Chocolate Truffle Squares
Squares Runner-up Susan's Chocolate Truffle Squares (Susan Gorveatte, Dartmouth, NS) Oh. My. Gosh. So easy. So decadent. So totally delicious. These are to die for. But don't. Just enjoy.
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs , (about 15 sandwich cookies)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp 35% cream , or evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the base – melted butter, chocolate wafer crumbs and sugar. Press into an 8 or 9 in. (22 or 33 cm) square glass pan. You may think there isn’t enough of the mixture to cover the bottom – don’t worry, it’s plenty.
- Now the filling. Melt the butter with the chocolate chips over low heat. Pour into a medium bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each addition. Add the vanilla and stir to combine. Pour over base.
- Place baking dish in the middle of a slightly larger baking pan (a cookie sheet with sides works well). Pour enough boiling water into the outer baking dish so that the water comes partway up the sides of the square glass baking pan. (This water bath will prevent the filling from cracking as it bakes.) Carefully place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes – exactly. Chill for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
- Now the topping. In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with the cream or evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Pour over cooled truffle squares, spreading to smooth the top. Chill until set before cutting into very small squares (trust me, this is sensible).