Stuffed French Toast with Blueberry Sauce
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 4 servings
Kid-tested by the pickiest, these cream-cheese-filled breakfast sandwiches cover all the food groups in one delicious plateful.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- finely grated lemon zest , (no white pith; about half a lemon)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Heat frozen blueberries, sugar and zest in a small pot at medium, stirring constantly for 4 minutes or until it comes to a boil. Set aside.
- Spread about 2 tbsp cream cheese on a slice of bread and top with another slice. Repeat 3 times for 4 sandwiches.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan at medium high and coat with cooking spray or a little butter. As the pan heats, dunk each sandwich in the egg mixture briefly, turning it over so that both sides are completely moist, but not waterlogged. Hold the sandwich over the bowl to catch any drips and transfer to hot pan.
- Cook each sandwich until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve with a dollop of sauce.