Simply Superb Yogurt Scones
Absolutely mandatory on the tea table, these light and delicious scones are irresistible with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, spread with Lemon Curd or just served with butter and jam. They’re also easy and fun to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl (or food processor) mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. If you are doing this by hand, cut in the butter using a pastry blender until it has the texture of fine crumbs. If you are using a processor, add the butter in chunks and process with the flour mixture until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and yogurt. Add this to the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork or processing just until it forms a soft dough. Now stop.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto the counter or work surface. Dump the dough out onto this floured surface and knead about 10 times, just until it’s smooth and holds together. Now have your child roll it out with a rolling pin (or pat by hand) to ½ in. (1 cm) thickness. Cut into 2 in. (5 cm) diameter rounds.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned.