Originally published in the January + February 2018 issue. Photo by Erik Putz.
Salted Brown Butter Puffed Rice TreatsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
You’ve had all the rest, now make the best. This upgrade takes just a few minutes more: Let the melted butter get all nutty and brown, and then add salt. Boom.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-250g bags miniature marshmallows
- 10 cups puffed rice cereal
- Line a 9×13-in. pan with parchment, leaving overhang on 2 sides.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high. Stir as butter foams up, then becomes nutty brown, 5 to 6 min.
- Reduce heat to low, then quickly add vanilla, salt and marshmallows, stirring until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in cereal until well-coated.
- Press into prepared pan and let cool at least 1 hour. Cut into squares.
This recipe is easily halved. Press into an 8-in. pan or stick with a 9×13-in. pan for thinner squares.
Use wet hands or a wet spatula to press mixture into pan to prevent sticking. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to evenly press the squares.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 17 g,
- 6 g,
- 84 mg.