Originally published in the January + February 2018 issue. Photo by Craig Boyko.
Rich Lemon CurdBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Pastry shop delicacies are within your grasp thanks to this simple lemon curd. It's thick, creamy and oh-so tangy.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 3 egg yolks , at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- Beat sugar with butter, eggs, yolks and salt in a medium saucepan, with an electric mixer on high, until creamy, about 1 min. Beat in lemon juice. (Mixture may curdle but will smooth out during cooking.)
- Set saucepan over medium-high. Cook, whisking constantly, until curd is thickened and smooth and coats the back of a spoon, 3 to 5 min. Serve warm or store in jars. Refrigerate up to 5 days.
How to use it
- Swirl with yogurt
- Smear on toast (with plenty of butter and a pinch of salt)
- Pair it with creamy cheeses for entertaining
- Make it into a cute dessert: dollop into mini canning jars and top with whipped cream and crumbled graham crackers
- Serve with pancakes
- Fill mini tart shells (or one large one)
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 5 g,
- 3 g,
- 14 mg.