Quick Cinnamon Butterflies
This article has not been rated yet.
They're not butterflies,' Dustin says. 'They're frog faces.' Jared, on the other hand, insists that they're eyeglasses. Whatever. They're delicious and fun - and take about 5 minutes to throw together.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 375-g pkg frozen puff pastry , defrosted
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Separate the puff pastry dough into 2 blocks. (You will work with one at a time.) Sprinkle a flat surface (your countertop, the table or a large cutting board) with some of the cinnamon sugar. Gently roll out the block of puff pastry on this sugared surface so that it forms a 12 in. (30 cm) square. Sprinkle with more of the cinnamon sugar (you’ll use about half of the mixture for each half of the dough). By hand, roll the dough – starting from one edge toward the middle of the square. Roll the other edge toward the middle also – so that it meets the other roll in the centre. Place on a baking sheet and repeat this process with the other block of dough and all the remaining cinnamon sugar. Place dough in the freezer for about 15 minutes to allow it to firm up – it will be much easier to cut that way.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the prepared dough from the freezer and, with a sharp knife, cut into – in. (1 cm) slices. Arrange, cut side up, on the parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving at least 1 in. (2 cm) between them. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.