Perfect Chocolate Cake
10 to 12 servings
In the world of perfect cakes, chocolate cake has to be number one.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare 2 greased and parchment-lined 8 or 9 in. (20 or 23 cm) round layer pans or a 9 x 13 in. (23 x 33 cm) rectangular pan or line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla, and beat with an electric mixer on high speed for about 2 minutes until smooth, scraping down the sides several times. Add the eggs and beat for another two minutes. Batter will be fairly thin.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan(s) and place in the preheated oven. Bake round layers for 40 to 45 minutes, rectangular pan for 45 to 50 minutes, or cupcakes for 35 to 40 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for about 5 minutes before removing cake.
- Note: This recipe also makes for 24 delicious cupcakes!