Originally published in the Today’s Parent January 2015 issue.
Minecraft Marshmallow CreepersBy Irene Ngo
3 hrs 30 min
Your master builder will swoon for these adorable Minecraft Marshmallow Creepers.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup warm water , divided
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 7-g pkgs Knox unflavoured gelatin powder
- 1/8 tsp greel gel food colouring
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- black food colouring pen
- Lightly spray a 9×5-in. loaf pan with oil. Combine granulated sugar with corn syrup and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan and set over high. Boil without stirring for 1 min. Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup water into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Sprinkle in gelatin. Let stand 2 min to soften.
- Whisk on high, then pour hot syrup in a stream down the side of the mixer bowl, beating gelatin mixture until it is thick and sticky and white peaks form, about 4 min. Add food colouring, then whisk until combined. Using an oiled spatula, scrape mixture into prepared pan, smoothing top as best you can. Let set at room temperature until set, at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Stir cornstarch with icing sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle your counter with cornstarch mixture. Flip marshmallow onto cornstarch mixture and coat all over. Cut marshmallow in half crosswise. Cut each half into 9 cubes. Coat each cube with cornstarch mixture to prevent sticking. Dust off any excess cornstarch mixture with your fingers. Use the black food colouring pen to draw the creepers’ eyes and mouth on each marshmallow.