* PLUS Baking time: 11 minutes
Maya Vis nyei
Sweet and simple, these maple scones are prefect for breakfast, brunch, or an after-school snack.
, or 5% cream
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 tbsp
, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, egg and milk.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder and salt until well blended.
- Cut cold butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or your fingertips (pinch each large piece of butter — the heat from your fingers is enough to break it into smaller pieces). Keep working until each piece of butter is the size of a small pea.
- Add the syrup mixture to the flour mixture. Stir with a fork until it comes together. Add more milk if necessary, 1 tsp at a time. The dough will be slightly sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out to a 6 1/2-in. square, 1 in. thick. Cut into traditional diamond shapes or use a glass to make circles.
- Place the scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each scone with a bit of whisked egg. Sprinkle the tops with pinches of sugar. Bake until golden, 11 to 12 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 24 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 330 mg.